Society for Sound Hearing has been instrumental in the launch of National Committees in three of the countries within the region. The three committees to be initiated are:
- Central Coordination Cell, National Programme for Prevention and Control of Deafness, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India
- Indonesian National Committee for Prevention of Hearing Impairment & Deafness
- National committee for prevention of deafness in Bangladesh
Central Coordination Cell, National Programme for Prevention and Control of Deafness, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India
The National Committee to look at the various aspects of prevention and control of Deafness in India was formed in 2006. Based on the recommendations of this committee, the government of India launched a pilot project based on the recommendations of the 'Healthy Ear District' concept. The project was formalised as a National Programme for Prevention and Control of Deafness in 2008. This programme is presently running in over 100 districts of the country. The Main objectives of the Programme are:
- To prevent the avoidable hearing loss on account of disease or injury.
- Early identification, diagnosis and treatment of ear problems responsible for hearing loss and deafness.
- To medically rehabilitate persons of all age groups, suffering with deafness.
- To strengthen the existing inter-sectoral linkages for continuity of the rehabilitation programme, for persons with deafness.
- To develop institutional capacity for ear care services by providing support for equipment and material and training personnel.
India National Committee Report for the year 2009 (42 KB)