This page outlines the Activities of the society:
- Preparation of a report on: Situation Review And Update On Deafness, Hearing Loss And Intervention Programmes in collaboration with WHO SEARO.The report has been published as a booklet by WHO SEARO in December 2007 and can be downloaded from
- Technical guidance for Development of the National Programme for Prevention & Control of Deafness based on the concept of "Healthy Ear District": The Secretariat of the Sound Hearing in Delhi has been providing complete technical support and guidance to the Indian government in it's implementation of the Healthy Ear District Project in various states of the country.
- Launching of the Indonesian National Committee for the Management of Hearing Impairment and Deafness: December 2007, the Indonesian National Committee was launched as a collaborative effort of Indonesian government, Sound Hearing 2030 and WHO Indonesia. Subsequently, 8 provincial committees have been formed in Indonesia.
- International Symposium on Deafness in Childhood was organized in Jakarta, Indonesia in December 2007. It was attended by over 150 medical doctors, ENT doctors and audiologists..
- School Screening Programme in New Delhi, India: The Secretariat has been involved in carrying out an extensive project to screen all the school going children of Delhi for the presence of ear and hearing diseases. This is being done in collaboration with a local NGO.
- Launching of the National Committee for the Management of Hearing Impairment and Deafness in Bangladesh: In May 2008, a Joint meeting between members of the Society for Sound Hearing and the Bangladesh government officials was organized in Dhaka. The Bangladesh National Committee was the outcome of this meeting.
- Developing prototype and field tested country publicity materials: 15 posters, 6 pamphlets and 2 flip charts have been developed through the collaborative efforts of the members about the Sound Hearing 2030 concepts. These have been field tested and validated. The material is readily available for download at: http://www.soundhearing2030.org/awareness.php
- Developing & maintaining accessible website: A fully accessible website: www.soundhearing2030.org has been developed professionally and is fully functional.
- Developing partnerships with other like minded organizations, Disabled people's organizations, audiologists and teachers for hearing impaired through participation in various activities such as the '2nd Deaf Expo' held in India in December 2010. Efforts for developing partnership with international organizations such as WHO SEARO, WHO HQ, UNESCO are underway.
- An Expert Committee meeting for 'Developing guidelines regarding Infant Hearing Screening in India' was held in January 2009 at New Delhi, India The meeting was held in collaboration with the WHO India country office. Guidelines for India were developed as a consequence of this meeting.
- The WHO SEA-SSH Inter-Country Consultative Meeting to Develop Guidelines of Infant Hearing Screening in the region was held at Kathmandu, Nepal in December 2009. The meeting was attended by experts from the different countries of the region as well as representatives of WHO SEARO. The meeting discussed the existing concepts of Neonatal/Infant hearing screening in the world. A report on the meeting containing some "guiding principles" was the outcome.
An image of an infant hearing screening in Indonesia
- Joint Expert Meeting on Guiding Principles for Infant Hearing Screening was held in Kathmandu, Nepal in March 2011. This meeting discussed the various issues related to the practical implementation of the Infant Hearing Screening in developing countries of Asia. The report and guidelines are under development.
- Development of Guidelines regarding Inclusion of Hearing Impaired in India: These guidelines have been developed through a consultative effort of experts in the field of Inclusion, Education as well as subject experts. They have been validated and are available for download on the website.
Page: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next